miércoles, 23 de julio de 2008

A LITTLE PARENTHESIS

Sometimes I stop and think about my reality I mean the reality of my country. What happens with our schools here in Chile is not something good at all. Many of the schools that we find here have little money and materials to provide to their students. When I say many of the schools in Chile I'm refering to the majority of them. The kind of students that we find in these schools come from a very difficult reality, where we find problems with drugs, delincuency, abuse, violence, etc. So I ask my self how can we as teachers motivate these kind of people? People that don't want to be educated because their interests are so different from the reality of the school that is almost imposible to change their minds. The theory says that we as teachers of English need to formulate our lessons based on subjects that are interesting for the students, but how can we create a good class based on drugs and violence? ( which are the interests of these children)
What if we started talking about planes, business, the world of money , etc. Would they pay attention to us? is this important for them? So What can we do about these people?
The government blames the teachers, they say it is their fault that children do not even know how to read or write but is this right? I don't think so I think this view is so unfari and it is the easy way of seeing how things are. What they don't realize is that the society has a problem not the teachers. The governement insists on creating very small houses in the suburbs to send the poorest people to live there. In some of those houses live 10 people, and we are talking about houses with only one room. So what happens with these people is that the only thing they want to do is to go out in order to escape from these small houses that soffocate anyone. Outside the house what they find are just problems durgs as I mentioned before and violence. They are sent to school, because their parents don't want to have them at home doing nothing and where there is nothing to eat at all. At school the only thing they know to do is nothing not paying attention and of course they take their bad customs to it, they attack teachers and classmates. Their parent don't really care about their education and of course they don't support their children in this process. So I ask the question again, how can we motivate students that don't want to be motivated and taught at all?
I really think theory helps but is not the truth at all.

No hay comentarios: